Have you ever tried running two air conditioners at a 30-amp campsite? The spike from the second compressor starting up can trip the breaker, especially in older, more remote campgrounds. We installed a device called a “soft start” into each of our A/C units, and now the spike is gone, allowing us to run both at once, even at a 30-amp hookup. They’re also perfect for using a small generator to power a single air conditioner when boondocking.
Our 15,000 BTU Penguin heat pump air conditioners typically use about 10-12 amps while running. But it takes a lot more current to start an air conditioner than to run it. That’s due to something called “Locked-Rotor Amperage” which can require 5 to 6 times the power to get an A/C compressor to start running.
If you’ve been getting by on hot summer days with only one A/C unit at 30-amp RV parks, or if you have a small portable generator that you’d like to use to run one air conditioner on your smaller RV, a soft start can make all the difference. They’re not hard to install, especially when you watch the above DIY tutorial video for the deets! ?
[fac_icon icon=”dollar”][fac_icon icon=”dollar”] MICRO-AIR EASYSTART DISCOUNT CODE [fac_icon icon=”dollar”][fac_icon icon=”dollar”]
Micro-Air is offering RVgeeks viewers a $25 discount when you buy an EasyStart 364
direct from them at www.microair.net. Use the Discount Code “RVGEEKS” at checkout!
NOTE: The discount applies only to the EasyStart 364, but if you have multiple air conditioners, you’ll save $25 on each of them!
Related & Recent Videos:
- How To Protect Your RV From Low Voltage
- How to Plug In An RV (Dog Bones 101)
- RV Holding Tank Odor Control ? — Air Admittance Valves
- Van Conversion Window Installation — Van Life DIY — Class B Living
- RV Tire Replacement — Save Money & Get The Job Done Right
- Boondocking Tips: Why Do We Face East?
- RVgeeks & RVwithTito — LIVE! Join Us For Parking Lot Camping!
- Newmar Super Star Super C RV — Detailed Tour & Impressions from RVX
- How to Replace RV Patio Awning Fabric — Dometic A&E — New EASIER Method
Featured & Related Products & Services:
- Micro-Air EasyStart 364 (use Discount Code “RVGEEKS” and save $25!)
- EasyStart 364 Installation Kit (for less then $10, it’s worth it to have all the pieces you need for the install)
- DeWalt 20V Cordless Drill
- Wire stripper & Crimping Tool
- Electrical Tape
- Diagonal Cutting Pliers
- 6″ Needle Nose Pliers
- #12-3/4″ Hex Head Self-Drilling Stainless Steel Screws (pack of 40)… or just pick some up the two (or four or six) you need at the local hardware store! ?