We’ve had our second RV, our 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire, for 15 years, and consider ourselves lucky that it’s held up so well (with a lot of RVgeeks TLC, of course 😉). But there’s been one particular part that has plagued us with troubles over the years: the refrigerator! Or more accurately, refrigerators.
We started out with a pretty standard propane-electric RV refrigerator, which had the pretty typical issues (temperature fluctuations, freezer not cold enough, no automatic defrost, etc), multiple repairs, and recalls (at least two that we can remember in the 6+ years we had it, mostly due to fire hazard issues)! So when it finally died on us, we weren’t too eager to just replace it with another identical unit. Instead we opted to upgrade to a residential refrigerator… for more storage room, more consistent (and colder) temperatures, no need to defrost it, and no more fire hazard!!
But large appliances like refrigerators are often installed into RVs BEFORE the walls are put on… so they’re often too big to get back out of the RV through the front door! If you’re lucky, you may have a window that’s large enough to pass the fridge through once it’s removed (we didn’t), but if not… you can remove the windshield (on a motorized RV, anyway), like we did when we changed from the RV fridge to our first residential model.
Or… you can get a bit more creative! 😉 LOL! Watch the video to see how we got our behemoth of a residential refrigerator out of our RV!
If you’re interested, the refrigerator we have now is the Samsung 18 cu. ft. Counter Depth French Door in stainless steel (model #RF18HFENBSR)… a common unit installed by RV manufacturers as a factory option… AND it can fit in/out of a door on a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire! LOL!
Thanks to Tyler at Tough Top Awnings for the help!
Recent & Related Videos:
- $500 Cummins Coach Care RV Service Giveaway & Motorhome Maintenance Discounts!
- 💦 SAFE RV DRINKING WATER!🚰 Acuva Eco NX-Silver Water Purification System Upgrade
- RV Towed Car Braking — Roadmaster InvisiBrake Auxilliary Tow Brake System Installation
- How To Replace RV Patio Awning Fabric — Carefree of Colorado Power Awning
- RV Solar Webinar With Xantrex Tech Doctor Don Wilson
- RV Boondocking Making You Nervous? Try This!
- New Zealand Freedom Camping — Boondocking, Kiwi Style! — NZ RV Trip
- Bürstner Class B+ Motorhome Tour 🚐 — Our New Zealand Wilderness RV Rental
- ☀️🔌⚡️ The Ultimate RV Solar System! 8 Panels, 1,300 Watts, Off-Grid Ready!
- RV Gray Valve Repair — REAL-TIME DIY Holding Tank Valve Replacement
- RV TPMS — Don’t Leave Home Without It! — Our EEZ Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Don’t Let This Happen To Your RV! Check Your Propane Detector!