We’ve lived in our Class A motorhome full-time for almost 20 years now. We love it, but there’s no denying that an RV is a small living space. That’s why we’re cautious about the RV cleaning supplies we use, favoring only natural RV cleaners that are non-toxic.
We believe it’s important to use natural cleaning products to keep an RV clean, so we thought we’d write a post sharing some of the products we’ve come to trust over the years along with some homemade RV cleaning options that are inexpensive and contain only natural ingredients and no harsh chemicals.
- 1) Why Is It Important to Use Non-Toxic RV Cleaning Products?
What Are Some of the Best Natural RV Cleaners Available?
- 2.1) Commercially Available Non-Toxic RV Cleaning Products
- 2.2) DIY Natural RV Cleaners Made from Basic Non-Toxic Ingredients
- 3) What are Your Favorite Natural RV Cleaning Products?
- 4) Free RVing Tips, Tricks, Reviews, Giveaways & More
Why Is It Important to Use Non-Toxic RV Cleaning Products?
When you’re living in a small space with little airflow, you’re in constant contact with the cleaning products you use (and any toxins they produce). And those toxins can be trapped in your living space for a long time.
Using safe, all-natural, non-toxic cleaning supplies is a good way to avoid dangerous exposure.
This is why our personal RV cleaning solutions are non-toxic and eco-friendly.
What Are Some of the Best Natural RV Cleaners Available?
There are a couple of ways you can go to clean your RV naturally. You can use commercially-produced RV cleaning options, or you can go the DIY route and use natural products you probably already have onboard.
Let’s take a look at both options and some of the best RV cleaners in both categories.
Commercially Available Non-Toxic RV Cleaning Products
There are a number of good natural cleaning products on the market today.
Following are some of our favorites, along with some of the most popular with other RVers.
Better Life Products
Better Life cleaning products have thousands of positive reviews. We’ve used the products ourselves for years and like them very much.
These natural cleaning products are great for multiple surfaces, from floors & walls to toilets, showers, countertops, appliances, and even carpets.
Better Life cleaning agents clean without leaving any residue behind and are free of petroleum products, surfactants, VOCs (volatile organic compounds), parabens, and alkylphenols.
Here’s their all-purpose, unscented cleaner that’s great for use all over the RV:
- Plant-Based, Biodegradable Cleaning Ingredients: Formulated with powerful natural cleaning agents like soap bark, corn and coconut and scented with...
- Powerful Clean, Naturally: Our All Purpose Cleaner combines plant-based power and peace of mind, leaving your surfaces sparkling clean and smelling...
They also have a specific tub & tile cleaner, a kitchen & bath scrubber, as well as a toilet cleaner, but we think that the all-purpose cleaner is a great all-around choice for RVers who don’t want to carry multiple cleaning products.
Nevertheless, we’ll drop the links here if you’re interested in reading more about these products.
- Plant-Based Cleaning Agents: With biodegradable ingredients that are gentle on the planet, you can feel good about bringing this product home
- Powerful Clean, Naturally: Our Tub & Tile Cleaner combines plant-based power and peace of mind, leaving your bathroom surfaces sparkling clean and...
- Plant-Based Cleaning Ingredients: Formulated with powerful natural cleaning agents like corn and coconut.
- Powerful Clean, Naturally: Our kitchen and bath scrubber combines plant-based power and peace of mind, leaving your surfaces sparkling clean and...
- Plant-Based Cleaning Agents: Made with ingredients that are gentle on the planet, you can feel good about bringing this product home.
- Powerful Clean, Naturally: Our Toilet Bowl Cleaner combines plant-based power and peace of mind, leaving your toilet sparkling clean and smelling...
And finally, Better Life makes a powerful floor cleaner with 10,500 mostly positive reviews:
- Plant-Based Cleaning Agents: With biodegradable ingredients that are gentle on the planet, you can feel good about bringing this product home.
- Powerful Clean, Naturally: Our Floor Cleaner combines plant-based power and peace of mind, leaving your floors sparkling clean and smelling fresh,...
Seventh Generation Products
Seventh Generation products are also very popular and have an excellent reputation. We use these cleaning products, too, and like them very much.
With respect to those who prefer kosher ingredients, Seventh Generation’s all-purpose cleaner is certified kosher-parve. It contains no synthetic scents, bleach, chlorine, phosphates, or animal ingredients, nor are Seventh Generation products tested on animals.
Seventh Generation makes many different types of natural cleaning products including all-purpose cleaners like this one as well as dish soap, dishwasher pods, laundry soaps, and disinfecting wipes.
All have thousands of positive reviews from users.
- Professional-strength formula uses essential oils for safe use
- Versatile design cleans, disinfects and deodorizes surfaces
- Convenient disinfectant wipes for daily touch-ups and tough cleaning jobs, clean and disinfect in one easy step
- A disinfectant that kills 99.99% of bacteria and viruses*
Puracy National Cleaning Products
Puracy natural RV cleaners use a plant-based formula that can be used on any surface throughout your home or RV. It’s highly effective at removing all types of stains, including grease & oil, stains from pet accidents, lipstick, juices, and even tree sap and adhesives.
Most important, it’s safe around children and pets and is certified cruelty free.
Puracy products are very popular and come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. With over 11,000 Amazon reviews, more than 90% positive, it sounds like a fair bet you’ll like this product.
- The Best All-Purpose Cleaner – The New York Times
- Over 10 Million Sold: Guaranteed to safely and thoroughly clean any non-fabric surface without streaking, or residues left behind
Mrs. Meyer’s All-Purpose Cleaning Products
Mrs. Meyer’s natural cleaning products are very popular and widely available. Their natural RV cleaners use essential oils and plant-derived ingredients to keep your rig clean.
The product works well on non-porous surfaces such as countertops, walls, wood and tile floors, bathroom and kitchen fixtures, and even stone.
Mrs. Meyer’s cleaning products are biodegradable and are never tested on animals. They’re made from natural cleaning agents and contain no glycol solvents, formaldehyde, phthalates, or parabens.
Note that this product is not a disinfectant:
- Quick and easy multi surface spray removes stuck on dirt
- A fresh way to clean, refresh, and remove odors from non-porous surfaces throughout the house
Unique RV Toilet Bowl and Tank Cleaner
Specifically designed for use on RVs and boats, Unique RV toilet bowl cleaner is a non-toxic and eco-friendly way to clean RV toilet bowls and RV holding tanks.
If harsh chemicals are used to clean your RV’s toilet bowl, they can interfere with the process of the contents beginning to break down in your black tank, and can even destroy toilet seals.
Products like Unique RV toilet bowl cleaner eliminate odors while also boosting the digestion of waste in the black tank and lubricate toilet seals to keep them sealing well for much longer.
Unique RV is said to be used by more RVers than any other toilet cleaner. It’s safe on plastic, ceramic, and porcelain toilet bowls, and won’t harm seals and valves.
It’s even good for campground septic systems.
- Cleans RV toilet bowls. Specifically designed for RV and marine toilets. Cleans your toilet bowl without compromising the break-down process in your...
- Removed tough stains, toilet bowl rings and urine smells from plastic, ceramic, and porcelain toilet bowls. Won't damage seals or valves. Helps...
DIY Natural RV Cleaners Made from Basic Non-Toxic Ingredients
If you’ve got any of the following products on hand in your RV, you’ve got a great non-toxic natural cleaner. We’re willing to bet you might have at least one of these handy in your rig right now (if not, they’re readily available at just about any supermarket)! Just pick up a few spray bottles to have on hand so you’ll be ready to use your homemade natural cleaning products.
Baking soda is not only a natural cleaning agent, but it’s also a natural scrubbing agent (due to the gritty nature of the soda) and water softener. This combination of capabilities makes it great for removing water spots, mineral buildup, and soap scum from your shower, sinks, and faucets.
Baking soda is also an excellent grease-cutting cleaning agent and is completely non-toxic. However, it’s not a disinfectant.
Vinegar is not only an excellent natural cleaning agent, but it’s also a powerful disinfectant. Many people use only white vinegar (cut 1/2 & 1/2 with water) as their home cleaning product.
You may have seen our post on what to do if your RV shower head is clogged, but – spoiler – it involves using baking soda and vinegar.
Citric Acid Powder
Derived from fruit, citric acid has been used as a natural cleaner and disinfectant since the Ancient Egyptians. Used in place of white vinegar, you can get all the same benefits (and more) without the odor (lots of people don’t like the smell of vinegar!).
In addition to being a disinfectant, citric acid is an effective descaler for removing hard water stains, limescale, and even rust. It’s also effective at removing soap scum.
Citric acid is often used as a natural alternative to bleach, both to disinfect and whiten. And it’s also a good degreasing agent and an anti-fungal.
A simple mixture of 1 tablespoon of citric acid powder dissolved in 1 cup of warm-to-hot water can be added to a spray bottle and used as a general-purpose cleaner (for more recipes and uses, check out this article at TheSpruce.com).
When combined with bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and warm water, citric acid really shines (literally and figuratively). In fact, citric acid combined with bicarbonate of soda makes a fantastic cleaner for old RVs that have become musty and mildewy.
If you can’t find it in your local grocery store (usually with canning supplies), you can pick some up on Amazon:
- The fine granular NON-GMO citric acid is a kitchen essential used in preserving, flavoring, and cleaning completely; preserves the Vitamin C content...
- Adds an acidic or sour taste to meat, candy and ice cream. It keeps fruits and vegetables fresh and food flavorful. Perfect for craft making, candy...
What are Your Favorite Natural RV Cleaning Products?
Drop us a comment and let us know if you use natural RV cleaners in your rig. We’d love to know what your favorite RV cleaning products are.
Free RVing Tips, Tricks, Reviews, Giveaways & More
Subscribe to our daily newsletter! We’ve been full-time RVers for 20 years (!) and share everything we’ve learned about RVing in our daily blog posts. Join our online community to receive a wealth of great RVing knowledge delivered right to your inbox.
Whether this is your first time on the road or you’re a seasoned full-timer, you’ll love the wide range of RVing topics we cover. Don’t miss a single article or any of our famous RV gear Giveaways — Subscribe today!