RVing is fantastic on so many fronts, not the least of which is the wonderful opportunity to travel with your pets. There are some things that help to make pets and pet owners more comfortable when traveling and camping. Today we’re looking at an item that can help to keep your pet safe outside your rig – the RV pet fence.
So, toss a treat over to your canine and feline besties, and let’s get right to it!
- 1) What is the Purpose of an RV Pet Fence?
- 2) Things to Consider When Buying an RV Pet Fence?
Popular Pet Fences for RVers
- 3.1) New World Pet Products B550-24 Foldable Exercise Pet Playpen, Black, Small/24 Inch x 24 Inch
- 3.2) IRIS USA Puppy Playpen Dog Playpen Fence Enclosure with Dog Gate Door – 4 or 8 Panel
- 3.3) Yaheetech 40-Inch 8 Panel Heavy Duty Pet Fence or Playpen
- 3.4) FXW Indoor Outdoor Pet Fence – Eight 40-Inch-High Panels
- 3.5) PawGiant Indoor Outdoor Pet Fence 16 Panels 24-Inch
- 4) Have You Used a Pet Fence While Traveling in an RV?
What is the Purpose of an RV Pet Fence?
While there are a number of good reasons to have an RV pet fence, the primary reason is pet safety. Whether your pet needs to get a little exercise or stay cool relaxing outside of the RV on a summer day, having a safe space at the campsite isn’t just important – it’s imperative.
A portable pet fence is a great way to offer your pets a space of their own – outdoors – while keeping them safe from harm.
Inside a pet fence, your pets can be off-leash and enjoy the outdoors while remaining safe in an enclosed space.
Things to Consider When Buying an RV Pet Fence?
When shopping for an RV pet fence, there are several features that are important to keep in mind. Let’s take a brief look at each of these.
One of the top considerations is the size of the pet fence. You want a compact unit that, when collapsed, will store easily in your RV. But you also want a fence that, when set up, allows your pet to relax and walk around.
An RV pet fence needs to be tall enough to keep your pets safe. If you’ve got a large, tall dog, for example, you need to make sure that the height of the pet fence you buy exceeds the height your dog is capable of scaling!
The last thing we want is an RV pet fence from which your pet can escape, because not only could there be danger in the area, your pet is very likely to become disoriented if lost because you’re in an area that is unfamiliar.
So, the height of the fence is a safety feature to which you’ll want to give strong consideration.
Weight is always a consideration for RVers, so on one hand you need to pay attention to the weight of a pet fence because it’s important to keep the weight you’re carrying down.
However, it’s incredibly important that an RV portable pet fence weighs enough that your pet can’t knock it down and escape to chase a squirrel or be subject to some unforeseen danger.
The material from which a pet fence for RVers is constructed not only contributes to your pet’s safety but also ensures that the fence will last.
If your pet fence is made of material that rusts from the moisture of the morning dew, from salt in the ocean air, or from being left out in the rain, then you’ll be replacing that fence before you know it.
You want a durably constructed fence to protect your pets and to last for as long as you want to travel with them.
Popular Pet Fences for RVers
Let’s take a look at some of the most popular pet fences for RVers to carry as they travel with pets who want to enjoy the great outdoors as much as we do.
New World Pet Products B550-24 Foldable Exercise Pet Playpen, Black, Small/24 Inch x 24 Inch
With well over 25,000 excellent reviews on Amazon, this foldable pet fence from New World Pet Products is among the most popular pet fences/playpens on the market.
At 24 inches tall, with an interior space of 62 inches, the unit pictured here is for smaller dogs and cats. (Although we don’t need to tell owners of felines how high some of them can jump!)
But New World also offers a medium fence (30 inches tall), a medium-large fence (36”), a large pen (42”), and an extra-large pen (48”). Following the link below will take you to all of them.
These pet fences have 8 panels that fold together when collapsed. A rust-preventive coating protects the fence from the elements. Ground stakes are included to keep the pen anchored to the ground.
This (small) pet fence weighs just under 17 pounds.
- Exercise pen has 8 connected panels (each panel 24W x 24H inches) to create 16 square feet living area; Playpen is ideal for small dogs up to 16...
- Portable exercise pen is great for indoor and outdoor use, a black rust-preventive e-coat protects the dog playpen from the elements and included...
IRIS USA Puppy Playpen Dog Playpen Fence Enclosure with Dog Gate Door – 4 or 8 Panel
The Iris USA Puppy Playpen is a pet fence for RVers that comes with a “doggy door” and is available in either a 4-panel (24” high) or 8-panel (34” high) version. The interior dimension is about 63” in diameter.
The interlocking panels are made from commercial-grade plastic and have non-skid rubber feet, making this RV camping pet fence also safe for indoor use.
More than 17,000 Amazon reviewers chose this pet fence with the vast majority giving it top reviews.
This pet playpen weighs 26.2 pounds.
- Safe, convenient enclosure for your pets
- Includes 8 interlocking panels made from commercial-grade plastic
Yaheetech 40-Inch 8 Panel Heavy Duty Pet Fence or Playpen
Yaheetech’s pet fences are available with 8, 16, 24, or 32 panels. The panels are 24”, 32”, or 40” tall. Obviously, for RV use, this 8-panel fence might be the ideal size, particularly if your pet is small, although it does weigh quite a bit more than those previously mentioned. All sizes come with a panel that houses a “doggy door.”
The panels are made of high-quality iron with a black or white finish. Increasing the number of panels can allow for a huge pet fence for home use as well.
The 8-panel Yaheetech pet fence weighs 43.6 pounds.
- 🐶【High Quality Material】This puppy playpen is made of strong and high quality Iron material, sturdy and durable to use.Quantity:1 x 8 Panels...
- 🐶【Dog Playpens for the House Large dog】Dog exercise pens is constructed from sturdy heavy duty rust resistant metal for increased longevity and...
FXW Indoor Outdoor Pet Fence – Eight 40-Inch-High Panels
This 8-panel pet fence is made of heavy-duty metal and is 40 inches tall. However, with the FXW pet fences, you can also opt for many more panels to increase the overall size significantly.
These panels have small floor protector caps making them suitable for indoor use. Stakes and a stake bag are included for outdoor use.
You can get up to 48 panels, and you can also choose the height of the panels, at 24”, 32”, or 40”.
This 8-panel version weighs 44 pounds.
- 🐶【A win-win solution】The FXW Dog Playpen is designed to bring a win-win solution to you and your lovely dog. Different from a narrow enclosure...
- 🐶【Unlock your freedom, savor the moment】The stakes are designed with rounded ball tops to protect the dog's claws from injury. The rods are...
PawGiant Indoor Outdoor Pet Fence 16 Panels 24-Inch
This is a 16-panel pet fence with panels that are 24 inches high, though you can also opt for 32”-high panels.
This pet fence is made of heavy-duty metal and weighs 55 pounds. The 16 panels allow for multiple configurations, depending on the space available. The panels have rubber gaskets on the bottom.
This 16-panel pet fence for RVing allows your pets 110 square feet of safe outdoor/exercise space.
- 【Stable Heavy & Safety】 The dog fence uses heavy metal with a net weight of 55 pounds. Heavy-duty thickened iron metal tube design is more stable...
- 【Prevention of escape】The dog pen is an excellent caretaker. The 24"H height is high enough to prevent escapes. The gravity automatic invisible...
If you’re also looking for an easy way for your pet to access your RV, check out our post on RV dog ramps.
Have You Used a Pet Fence While Traveling in an RV?
If you’ve traveled with an RV pet fence, we’d love to hear about your experience. Drop us a comment and let us know what pet fence is your favorite, and how you like to use it when you’re camping.
Geek Out with Us Every Week
Join our newsletter to learn about all things RV-related. Every week we offer free tips, tricks, product reviews, and more to our online community of RVers. So, whether this is your first time on the road or you’re a seasoned expert, we’d love for you to geek out with us!