After nearly 20 years of living full-time in our motorhome, we’ve accumulated some great RV storage ideas. So, we thought it might be worth putting together a post to share a host of storage solutions that we think will work for our readers.
Don’t worry, we’re not gonna overwhelm you with an hour’s worth of scrolling through RV organizing hacks. We’re pulling together some of the most-used RV storage ideas for maximizing space and keeping a rig clutter-free.
If you’re looking around your rig right now and you see clutter, trust us – once you organize your RV, you’ll find your living space (regardless of size!) to be a far more relaxing environment (unless, of course, you’re a hoarder and having free space and everything in its place stresses you out!).
So, let’s whip that rig into shape!
RV Storage Ideas for Small-Space Living!
- 1.1) RV Storage Ideas for the Kitchen
- 1.2) RV Storage Ideas for the Bathroom
- 1.3) RV Storage Ideas for the Bedroom
- 1.4) Basement RV Storage Ideas
- 2) What Are Your Favorite RV Storage Ideas?
RV Storage Ideas for Small-Space Living!
Living in an RV full-time, part-time, or even occasionally will teach you that organization is everything. That’s why space-saving RV storage hacks are all over the internet.
But really, anyone who lives in a tiny space, whether it’s a studio apartment or a tiny house, can benefit from good storage ideas.
We realize that not every RV has the amount of space we’ve got, so we’re incorporating a bunch of ideas to keep any tiny home or camper organized, regardless of its size.
RV Storage Ideas for the Kitchen
The kitchen is a great area to start your organizing (or re-organizing!) because there are lots of RV storage ideas that work well in the kitchen.
An RV generally has limited counter space, so keeping things stored somewhere other than on the counters is best. Toward this end, let’s take a look at several ways to improve RV kitchen organization, starting with some storage ideas for your RV kitchen cabinets.
A Lazy Susan or Turntable
A lazy Susan (sometimes referred to as a “turntable”) is not only a great way to organize small pantry items or spices, it also makes the items super easy to find and grab simply by turning the “table” until you reach the item you want.
This one is a 9″ version, but they’re available in larger and smaller sizes, depending on your needs.
- USE IN EVERY ROOM: Perfect for organizing your kitchen, bathroom, home office, laundry room, garage, craft or hobby room, and more
- MAXIMIZE STORAGE: 9-inch turntable makes countertops, cabinets, closets, and even your refrigerator more organized and tidy
Nesting bowls are probably the greatest RV storage idea since sliced bread! Bowls of various sizes take up a lot of room if they’re just strewn around inside a cabinet. But nesting bowls allow you to store multiple bowls of various sizes in the space of just one large bowl.
Note that some come with lids and others don’t so shop around for what you’ll find most useful.
- Space-saving nesting design allows individual pieces to be stacked neatly together
- Mixing bowls have wide non-slip bases, easy-carry handles, and are lightweight. A new improved stainless-steel mesh sieve and a large colander...
Plate cradles allow you to store plates of various sizes sideways, saving space and making access easy.
Simply slide them into a kitchen cabinet and store your plates upright!
- Conveniently store plates upright
- Takes plate storage to the max
Slide-out storage baskets made to fit beneath sink cabinets help to keep everything in its place! That means you’ll have more space to store cleaning products, garbage bags, etc.
Make sure to read reviews and buy the type that has tubs or baskets that slide out for access to what’s inside. (No more sticking your head under the sink and smashing it on your way out!)
Pro Tip: Lots of RVers use these for pantry storage as well!
- 【Sliding Design】2-Tier sliding basket organizer can slide freely along the track. Provide versatile storage in compact spaces. Drawers come with...
- 【Stackable Design】The under sink rack has 4 holes for adjust different height; Include 4 connectors and stack up to multiple units
- 【Sturdy & Durable Materials】: This storage organizer is made of high quality PET+Plastic+Metal, safe and odor-free. With strong load-bearing...
- 【Easy to use】: This 2 Tier Drawer Organizer is easy to use ,slide to open and save space. It is detachable and stackable, which is convenient for...
The Space-Saving Power of Magnets
The use of magnetic strips has become quite popular among the RVing and #vanlife communities.
Installing a magnetic strip in your kitchen gives you a way to store your knives, spices, and/or other small items on the wall.
Word of caution, though – you may want to put those knives away in a drawer or other safe area on travel days. No one wants knives flying around in the event of an accident or even a quick stop!
- MAGNETS COATED - Ni+Cu+Ni Triple Layer Coated. The Best Coating Available, which Provides a Shiny and Rust Resistant Protection for the Magnets.
- POWERFUL MAGNETS - Made of Strongest Magnetic Material! Strong Holding Power, Holding Power is not Less than 18 lb per Magnet with Direct Touch and...
- ✓ Measures 15 3/4" Sleek Durable design, Strong magnetic surface
- ✓ Can be mounted on the wall or Tiles
- New Design Spice Jars：Made with advanced magnetic feature which help you to keep them stick with refrigerator oven, stove and any kind of flat...
- Unique Lid Design：A transparent lid is very convenient for finding the right spice quickly and has a rotating design with sift or pour holes-four...
Mop & Broom Grippers
Store your mops, brooms, and other handled items upright on the sides of a closet, leaving more space for other items to be stored.
Floating Shelf/Spice Rack/Anything Rack
These floating shelves from Ikea are great additions to kitchen cabinets, set at the back of kitchen counters, or in any room of your RV where you need to store small items that you don’t want to fall out when your rig is underway.
They’re even great as little bookshelves or other item holders placed near a bed for easy access!
- Width: 15 3/4 " Depth: 3 7/8 " Height: 3 1/2 "
- Saves space on the countertop
Adjustable Tension Rods
This is more of a quick tip than an actual storage idea, BUT it could be an important one for some of you.
If the contents of your RV fridge spill out every time you open the door after traveling, these tension rods may be helpful… they’re also helpful in cabinets, too!
- Extendable length - twist the rod to adjust the length from 15.7" to 28" according to the length of your cupboard, closet, refrigerator or other place...
- Spring action - the tension rod with spring loaded inside, convenient to adjust the length and stuck it firmly
Another fridge-centric idea is to use washable bins to help with organization and to help hold small items in place during travel.
- ✅JINAMART can holder Bin is great for organizing cans of drinks and juice in less space. It is designed to hold both food and drink cans.
- ✅The refrigerator can organizer measurement is 13.5"x 5.5"x 3.75" and it is designed to store up to 9 cans (7.5-oz) at once. This can holders come...
- 8 Pieces Fridge Organizer Bins Set: Each refrigerator storage bin measures 12.5’’ L x 6.3” W x 3.5” H. Use these clear fridge storage bins...
- Making Storage More Easier: These sturdy and medium capacity bins are great for creating a clean and organized refrigerator or pantry. Ideal for...
RV Storage Ideas for the Bathroom
RV bathroom storage can be critical in some rigs because there isn’t much space available.
For example, you may have seen our post on the outrageously tiny RV wet bath. RVers with wet baths have to get mighty creative to keep things organized, so we’ll start with one of their most popular storage hacks…
Repurposed Shoe Organizers
The pockets of hanging shoe organizers can have many uses in an RV. Perhaps the most popular, though, is to store toiletries and other common bathroom items. They’re great for brushes, combs, toothpaste, Q-tips, scissors, razors, nail clippers, and on and on and on.
Shoe organizers can be cut to size to fit any location where you may want to attach them and can be hung using small Command hooks, velcro, or even suction cups.
Many RVers use the pockets of shoe organizers in various places in their rigs, including inside closet doors.
- Store 12 pairs of shoes or 24 pairs of sandals without taking up valuable floor space
- Mesh fabric pockets allows your shoes to breathe
Wall Mount Shower Dispensers
If you saw our post on how to take an awesome RV shower, you know we’re fans of shower dispensers. They keep bottles of liquid soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. off the floor.
And considering the (itsy-bitsy) size of some RV showers, using wall space as storage for these items is a great idea.
- Eliminate shower bottle clutter with this convenient dispenser
- Includes-handy storage hooks for razors and accessories
Hanging Fogless Shower Mirror
We hang our shaving mirror on the shower wall, too!
- LARGER DESIGN: The Deluxe Shave Well Mirror makes your shower routine effortless from shaving to removing makeup to brushing your teeth. The larger,...
- NO MORE SUCTION CUPS TO FALL OFF YOUR SHOWER WALL: The mirror’s strong adhesive hook outperforms weak, standard suction cups to stay secure on all...
Shower Razor Holders
Shower razor holders are a great way to store your RV razors as well! In our RV, we don’t even need to take the razors out on travel days… the holder keeps it securely in place while under way.
- ALWAYS WITHIN REACH - Using OXO’s Wall-Suction Razor Holder, you can always keep your razor within convenient reach while you’re in the bathroom.
- CONVENIENT AND COMPACT STORAGE - The razor holder keeps your razor nearby without taking up counter space. It’s perfect for small showers and those...
- OUTSTANDING MATERIAL: Our heavy duty shower razor holder for shower wall made of premium 304 stainless steel, high powerful adhesive razor hooks -...
- NO DRILLING, EASY TO INSTALL: Great adhesive, no drilling, shower razor holder just need to peel off the protective layer and stick it on the desired...
The more items that can be stored off the counters or floors in an RV the better.
For this reason, wall-mounted containers of all sizes, shapes, and styles are helpful, especially in a small RV bathroom.
- SUCTION SHOWER CADDY BASKET - The extra-wide design of the iDesign shower organizer allows you to store all your shower essentials in one place; great...
- OPEN DESIGN - The open design of the waterproof bathroom shower rack provides proper airflow to allow wet items to dry more efficiently after use
- 【Need To Note】-Please check you the type of your wall before purchase this product. Only Fit for any NON-POROUS & SMOOTH &FLAT surface . ceramic...
- 【No Drilling】-Easy installation, install with non-trace sticker only, no need to drill on the wall, no damage to your wall.
If you have counter space available, storing small items in clear storage containers can help to organize the space, while keeping the contents visible.
- ✅ CUTE AND FUNCTIONAL - The clear acrylic apothecary jars combine BEAUTY with organization,going perfect for the modern farmhouse look you’re...
- ✅ PERFECT SIZE AND EASY TO USE- Perfectly sized for storing q-tips and cotton rounds in the bathroom. Each apothecary jar has a removable acrylic...
With small storage containers like these, it can be helpful to tack them down to the counter, so you’re not constantly having to store them away on travel days.
- Gorilla Mounting Putty is ideal for hanging light weight items in place of traditional tapes, push pins, and fasteners.
- NON TOXIC: Gorilla Mouting Putting Squares are non-toxic, repositionable, and long lasting.
Drawer Storage Containers
Small drawer storage containers can be helpful in an RV to keep things organized & together, even when the RV is underway.
These are useful not only in the bathroom but in any drawers throughout the rig.
- Keep your Desks Drawers Dressers or Vanity neatly organized with these Multipurpose Clear Plastic organizer storage Trays.
- Practical design to help maximize your space. Use them side by side to keep items organized and easy to find.
- A versatile bin that can be used to organize throughout the entire home
- Soft-grip lining and non-slip rubber feet ensure that items stay in their place
RV Storage Ideas for the Bedroom
Probably the biggest RV storage issue in the bedroom is clothing. Closets and drawers in an RV aren’t typically the size of closets and drawers found in a sticks & bricks home. So space is at a premium (as always!).
There are many ways to store clothing in an RV. Among the most popular are storage cubes. In addition to keeping clothing well organized and easy to access, we don’t want to have to reposition things after every trip that takes us around corners and over bumps!
Fabric cubes are inexpensive and can be a great way to store clothing on shelves and in cabinets. Why? Here’s the trick:
When you’re parked at a destination, you can turn the cubes on their sides so that the clothing is well organized and easy to grab. This works well for items like pants, t-shirts, sweaters, and the like.
Here’s our friend Nikki Wynn (Gone With the Wynns) demonstrating!
When you’re set to travel, you simply turn the cubes upright (open side up) so that everything stays right where you put it. When you open your cabinets after traveling, all of your clothing will still be organized.
Depending on the type of cabinets you have, you may not even need to turn the cubes upright to travel.
Stackable Closet Baskets with Slide Rails
Stackable closet baskets can be very helpful as an RV storage idea for closet organization. Be sure to get the type with slide rails for easy access to items stored in all basket levels.
- 【Multi-Functional】: The closet shelves are convenient to store your lightweight items such as shoes, clothes, toys, snacks, file etc. Suitable for...
- 【Assembly Easily & Stackable】: Easy to set up, follow the steps in pictures. Adjust to your own liking by stacking the perfect number to fit your...
Clear Sterilite Storage Bins
And of course, clear storage bins are great for storing all sorts of items.
These are also stackable. And because they’re clear, it’s easy to see what’s inside. You can also label them.
- SNAP-CLOSE BIN: Organize your home and keep clutter-free with the Sterilite 6-quart stackable storage containers with snap-close lids
- DURABLE: Made in the USA from BPA-free and phthalate-free durable plastic with white snap-close lids that keep out bugs, dust, and dirt
Basement RV Storage Ideas
The best way for us to offer our RV basement storage ideas for your rig’s basement or exterior storage spaces is to demonstrate the system we’ve come up with over many years on the road.
In the first video, we demonstrate how to organize an RV basement.
In the second video, we demonstrate how we refined our system to work even better for us. Now we know where everything is and how to find it…in minutes!
What Are Your Favorite RV Storage Ideas?
As we mentioned, we’ve accumulated these storage ideas over our many years of full-time RVing. If you’ve got some great RV storage ideas that have worked well for you, drop us a comment and let us know about it! We’d love to hear!
Geek Out with Us Every Week
Join our newsletter to learn about all things RV-related. Every week we offer free tips, tricks, product reviews, and more to our online community of RVers. So, whether this is your first time on the road or you’re a seasoned expert, we’d love for you to geek out with us!