“Mob” is the correct term for a group of kangaroos. Fitting, since we felt like we were about to become victims of a mob hit after being surrounded by them!
We’re in beautiful Yuraygir National Park along Australia’s Legendary Pacific Coast. Besides the rugged coastline and beautiful beaches, Yuraygir is known for its huge kangaroo population. And since we can never get enough ‘roos, it was a given we’d come here.
Like so many other places, the kangaroos here are not particularly fearful of humans. That’s great from a photography & videography standpoint, since getting close enough to capture great images of animals in the wild can so often be such a challenge.
Of course the downside of habituated wildlife is that it can approach a little too close sometimes. That’s probably due to thoughtless people who’ve taught them that humans = food.
Since kangaroos aren’t carnivorous, it’s not exactly the same as being approached by a bear. But big males can be extremely dangerous, especially when surrounded by females and joeys (that’s what you call the little ones).
If you want to find out the subconscious sounds that a human can make when two kangaroos (including a huge male) come right toward him, listen closely to the video. I had no idea I did that until we watched the footage back. I guess I wasn’t expecting them to keep coming after they first stopped about 5 feet away from me. Intimidation (and self-preservation) can get the better of even a dedicated wildlife shutter bug!
- Official Trip Announcement – We’re Going Down Under!
- Melbourne, Australia Beachfront Boondocking
- Tasmanian Devil Feeding Frenzy!
- Preparing to Drive on the Left in Dunedin, NZ
- Akaroa, NZ Waterfront Freedom Camping
- Freedom Camping on the Mohaka River near Napier, NZ
- RVgeeks Interviewed by the Legendary Pacific Coast team
- Picking Up Our Campervan. We’re On the Road in OZ!
- Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- How To Hook-Up & Dump Tanks on an Australian Campervan
- Duck-Billed Platypus Hunting in Australia’s Atherton Tablelands
- Australia Campervan Tour
- Magnetic Island & Koalas In The Wild!
- The Whitsunday Islands: Float Plane to Spectacular Whitehaven Beach
- Kangaroos & Wallabies on the Beach at Sunrise
- Brekky on the Barbie
- Boondockers Welcome in OZ, Plus a Honkin’ Custom Outback-Ready RV!
- Australia Driving Q&A – David Barnes Driving School
- Australia Campervan Awning Set-up Time-Lapse
- Byron Bay Bluesfest & Legendary Pacific Coast Planning
- Byron Bay Big4 and Cape Byron Lighthouse