If your propane tank has no gauge on it, you’ve probably had your grill quit in the middle of cooking dinner at least once. Here’s a simple trick for checking the exact level in your propane tank, without a gauge!
We’ve all been there. You head outside to flip those beautiful steaks, chicken, fish or veggies and the grill is cold. You ran out of propane in the middle of cooking dinner and now everything else will be ready, but no main course.
Those portable tanks are notorious, not only because they have no gauge, but because they’re small, so they run out more often. Our big built-in propane tank holds 32 gallons, and has a gauge, so we have a pretty good idea how full it is. But when your tank doesn’t have a gauge, how do you know what’s happening in there?
Besides the inconvenience of having a single meal interrupted, you’ll really want to be sure you’ve got plenty of propane on board before heading out on that remote boondocking trip.
Once you see this ridiculously simple trick, you’ll never run out of gas unexpectedly again!
Recent & Related Videos:
- How To Connect a BBQ Grill to an RV’s Onboard Propane Tank
- Connecting an RV to External Propane
- DOUBLE Slide Topper / Awning Discounts, Installation Tips + RVgeeks Quartzsite Appearance!
- Roadmaster Towbar Follow-Up
Featured & Related Products (from our recent video on connecting a BBQ grill to an RV):
- Extend-A-Stay with 12′ Extension Hose
- 1″-20 Female Throwaway Cylinder thread x 1/4″ Male Pipe Thread Adapters – you’ll need two
- 15psi Propane Regulator (provides plenty of pressure for our 24′-long hose, but prevents oil build-up)
- 1/4″ NPT Brass Male-to-Male Nipple
- 1″-20 Male Throwaway Cylinder thread x 1/4″ Female Pipe Thread Adapters – you’ll need two
- 12′ Propane Extension Hose (if you need more than the one that’s already included with the Extend-A-Stay)
- 1.5″ Desk Hole Grommet (you only need this and a 1.5″ hole saw if you’re going to cut through a panel like we did)
- Propane 1/4″ High-Pressure Quick Connect – Female with Shutoff Valve
- Propane 1/4″ High-Pressure Quick Connect – Male
- Yellow Gas/PTFE Tape (YELLOW for propane. Use 4 0r 5 wraps on all threaded connections)
- Weber Q1000 Portable Grill (Manual igniter. Ours is a slight Frankenstein job, with electric ignition)
- Rolling cart for Weber Q1000
- Cover for Weber Q1000
- Table Kit for Weber Q1000